Do your taxes for free! Remember the deadline is April 15.

You are here


Income Goal:  Fulfilling basic needs and building self-sufficiency.

Individuals or families who had a combined income under $57,000 in 2012 are eligible to do their taxes for free at Take part, and be sure to share this valuable resource!

Download Tax Preparation Checklist or Follow Instructions Below

Step 1: Gather your documents

  • W-2s for each job held in 2012 for each person in the household. This form reports your name, wages, and other tax information to the IRS 1099s and 1098s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, health care reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS
  • Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments
  • Bank account numbers: A voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through direct deposit
  • Last year’s tax return (if you have it)

Step 2: Collect information for everyone in your household

  • Name and taxpayer number as they appear on the Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents (including children and elderly relatives that you care for)
  • Date of Birth and Relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc.)
  • Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records)

Step 3: Gather additional items to get a larger refund

  • Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the child care provider
  • Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business
  • College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university (Forms 1098-T/1098-E)
  • Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom)
  • Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250
  • Vehicles: Vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven for the year and/or total miles driven for business
  • Renters: Amount of rent paid
  • Homeowners: mortgage interest statement, real estate taxes paid (Form 1098), Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2011Retirement/IRA: Amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2011
  • Retirement/IRA: Amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2012

ITIN: If you need to apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free.

Step 4: File your taxes for free through

Step 5: Fill out Form 8888 to buy tax-time savings bonds using your tax refund

  • You have the option to use all or part of your tax refund to purchase Series I U.S. Savings Bonds for as little as $50 and up to $5,000. There is no fee to purchase or cash in bonds and if they are stolen, destroyed or lost, they can be replaced.  Learn more.

Step 6: Keep copies of your forms and tax statements

  • For your protection, keep any forms used to prepare your taxes and a copy of your return for seven years. This information will make it easier to file your taxes next year.