Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
Child & Youth Success: Ensuring children have a strong start and a strong foundation for success in school, work and life.
What is Dolly Parton's Imagination Library?
It is a book gifting program that mails free, high-quality books to children from birth until they begin school. This is one strategy we utilize to ensure ALL of our children enter kindergarten ready to learn and ALL of our children are reading at or above grade level by the end of third grade.
The first five years of a child's life are vitally important to their development. From zero to three years, 90 percent of a child's brain is developed. A child develops language skills before being able to speak. Literacy skills develop long before a child is able to read. Reading is essential to brain development, as well as healthy physical and emotional responses in children. Results and Impact Articles - Click Here
A few facts – Shedding a light on the issue
- Gallatin County has the capacity to provide 33% of the needed early child care slots to children and families (Dept. of Labor 2019).
- 37% of children entering kindergarten in Bozeman School District #7 are not ready to learn and that number remains consistent for reading at grade level by the end of 3rd grade (2015-16 K STAR Assessment).
- 80% of youth's waking hours are spent outside of the school day (MT Afterschool Alliance 2018).
- $7,900/year is the average cost for child care for a four-year-old and $9,000/year for and infant in MT (MT Budget & Policy Center).
- Child care is the largest expense for families with median incomes (MT Budget & Policy Center).
- 66.8% increase in the number of child victims of abuse and neglect in Montana since 2015 (Child Welfare League of America 2018)
Enroll your child today (currently must reside in zip code 59715 or 59718).
to help ensure ALL children have a strong start and a strong foundation for success in school, work and life.
We need help to grow and expand the program throughout Gallatin, Park, Meagher and Madison Counties.
The program is entirely funded by donations. Generous startup funds were provided to launch the program for residents of 59715 and 59718. Let's expand the program together!
Logistics Support Provided By:
- Indianola, MS - DPIL Impact Report
- Onondaga, NY - DPIL Executive Summary
- Reading Psycchology Journal - Syracuse, NY DPIL Peer Review
- Knox County, TN - DPIL 3rd Grade Follow-Up Study
- TN - Meta Analysis Report