“Buy a book, Donate a Book” at Barnes & Noble Now through December 24.
Achieving early reading success opens the doors to life-long opportunities.
You can help to ensure that all our children have opportunities to stay on track in school.
Books are distributed to hundreds of children by over 30 local human service organizations.
Barnes & Noble Book Drive “Buy A Book. Donate A Book” - Now through December 24
- Buy and donate a book in-store at Barnes & Noble, Gallatin Valley Mall.
- Books from the "Suggested Books" display will be used to provide engaging reading experiences for children through literacy kits. A Literacy Kit is comprised of a popular, developmentally appropriate book and a collection of related objects, games, or other activities designed to make reading interactive and enjoyable for young children. Reading a book and engaging in the accompanying activities supports the development of a child’s language and literacy skills, as well as their creative thinking; and Literacy Kits help make reading fun for both the child and for the adult who is reading with the child.
- Greater Gallatin United Way and over 30 partner programs distribute donated books to hundreds of children in South Central MT.
In-Store Book Fair Event - Barnes & Noble - Sunday, December 17, 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Shop at B & N on December 17 and a % of your purchase will be donated to Greater Gallatin United Way's Child and Youth Success Community Impact Area. Funds are invested into programs and services focused on ensuring that all our children have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
- Meet and greet GGUW Staff and Board Members and enjoy hot chocolate and cookies.
Online Book Fair - December 12 through June December 17
- Shop online at www.bn.com/bookfair. Check box “Bookfair Order” and enter this code # 12258448. A percentage of your eligible purchase will be donated to Greater Gallatin United Way Child and Youth Success Community Impact Area.
- Funds are invested into programs and services focused on ensuring that all our children have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Online Shopping Instructions:
From Payment Page, scroll to very bottom and choose "Check this box if this is a Bookfair Order." (Note: If you signed into your BN.com account, you may need to click "Change" on the Payment section on the Checkout page and then scroll to bottom.) Enter Book Fair ID # 12258448.
Why Is This Important?
- Reading is the foundation for learning and life-time success, yet too many children enter school without the basic skills they need to learn to read.
- Nearly 40% of children entering kindergarten in Bozeman School District 7 elementary schools are not ready to learn based on 2015-16 STAR Kindergarten Assessment scores.
- Reading proficiency by 3rd grade is the most important predictor of high school graduation and career success.
- Children who aren’t reading well by the end of 3rd grade are 4 times as likely to drop out of high school.
- 9 in 10 children with reading difficulties may still achieve grade level in reading if they receive help by 1st grade.
- If struggling readers don’t receive aid until 4th grade, it takes 4 times as long to improve their reading skills by the same amount.
- 3 in 4 children who fail to get needed reading support until age 9 or later struggle throughout their entire school years.